Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Little Too Much Green Redux

So I knew it was supposed to be hot this weekend, but *that* hot?

Green Husband, Pip, Sprout and I headed out with my SIL and her family for our first overnight camping trip with four children under five. Did I mention that it was supposed be hot? Arriving in Southern Maryland in the fog, we thought, "Now how hot can this be?" It was hot. Did I mention that?

After several hours of constant hydration and inching around the campsite, we gave up and headed for the beach, which, luckily, was only several minutes away. My children have never been to the beach. Let me just say...there was crying when we had to leave the beach. Always a good sign. My SIL and I tried to figure out what was wrong with the beach - meaning, there was no traffic on the way there, there was plenty of parking, the beach was filled with pleasant people all enjoying the Bay, there was an ice cream shop a street over from the boardwalk, and the town seemed adorable. Why? Why no one at this beach? Let's just keep this beach a little secret between you and me, eh?

Heading back to the hell, er, delight, that was our campsite we sweated around until about 7:00 when we were treated to such a spectacular show of cloud to cloud lightening that we decided to enjoy the rest of the show from inside the safety of our trucks. I have never struck a camp so quickly. I say, better the camp than me. We rode home through one of the worst lightening storms I have ever been in, complete with downed tree across the highway.

Today we are drying clothes on the line and using those "points" to run our air conditioning.

Corinne, count this trip as summer adventure and challenge! :)

13 comments:

Corinne said...

WOW!!! HOLY COW. I cannot believe you were out in that rainstorm!! I put North Beach on my list because I heard from a friend that it was the Bay's best kept secret - sounds like she's right!! And what's funny is that I was just telling her that I wanted to go there together to camp! Glad to know you can camp. Did you like the site? How long did it take you to get there from where you are?

Anonymous said...

North Beach near Bethany?

Anonymous said...

Oh... we drove home through a monsoon Saturday too. I am still scared to take my kids camping for that very reason. I know this is because I'm a Michigan girl but it's amazing your kids haven't been to the beach. That's all we got here - beaches.

Corinne said...

Amy - so, I am changing the challenge format a little bit. Stop by the blog and check it out, then get me your email address, will you?? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like one of those amazing, unforgetable getaways that you'll laugh about for a very long time :)

Anonymous said...

You see? This is reason 8,725 why it's always better NOT to camp. Say what you will about me. I do not care what you think. My children will have fond memories of camping, oh yes they will - camping with my aunt and uncle! Now please - be a dear and pass the sangria.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! You were camping in that?! Sounds like quite the experience. I'm glad that at least there was the highlight of the beach.

Mary Beth said...

Oh my gosh!!!! Glad you are all okay. What an adventure!

Jenny said...

That is quite an adventure!

Anonymous said...

Bless you!

Anonymous said...

We are venturing out on our first camping trip a week from today with a 4 year old and 1 year old. It will be our first time using our new (but used) pop up. I think you always have to cross your fingers for decent weather. Wish me luck!

Gift of Green said...

Dear Anon,

No...North Beach in Southern Maryland. Near Cheasapeake Beach. No Route 50 or Bay Bridge involved! :)

Gift of Green said...

Nicol - Ah yes, the pop-up! They are just so darn adorable! Alas, it is tent-only for us at the moment.