Saturday, August 4, 2007

Yogaaahhhhhh!

Is it time to try yoga again?

I ask myself this question because the last time I tried yoga it was over six years ago. I found the class I took to be anxiety-producing. So many people, crowded into a basement room with no natural light, the instructor either never walking around or when she did walk around, I felt tense wondering if she was going to correct me or not as she passed by...and if she didn't correct me when she passed, wondering if I was just being left to my own devices or if I was doing just fine. Do you see why I left after the third class and never came back?

But lately, I have been giving yoga second thoughts. I have been reinspired by a number of things. The first being a new book that was added to my library's collection. I've mentioned it before, and I still have it checked out! It's "Healing Yoga for People with Cancer" and I have just fallen in love with this book - every detail, from the words, the photographs, the tone. I'm just reading it through right now and have started with relaxation pose (which I am now realizing after reading Jenny's latest post on EatWasaFeelGood is officially corpse pose). I highly recommend this book (from my novice perspective) for beginners; it's not just for people living with cancer.

Secondly, my children are really enjoying yoga. I think it is time I investigated some yoga classes for them, or, if anyone has any recommendations for DVDs on yoga for children, I would appreciate hearing from you. I think it would be a wonderful activity for the entire family, even Green Husband is on board. If you haven't already, take a look at the new online store, LotusPad, now open for business. Katy is one of my oldest friends and she is another very mindful momma who has some adorable yoga products specifically for kids!

Third, I need some form of exercise, some discipline, something to work at and yoga is of interest to me at this point in my life. I am also interested in pilates. I was never an aerobics/weight machine/treadmill kind of gal, and I now know that walking, pilates, and yoga are more my style. SusieJ once recommended this DVD on her blog, Shiva Rea - Yoga Shakti, and it has gotten some excellent reviews online as well. I think it's time I give it a try as well.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've often had yoga in the back of my mind for the kids. I should look into classes. AD is currently doing Karate and is really loving it but we may not continue past January so yoga is a good switch. Also, that makes 3 WHS 88 grads that I know of that have their own biz.
RD

Jenny said...

I keep hearing of more and more kids doing yoga. That's cool. Circle Yoga in Bethesda has a class for kids during the adult session.

Katy said...

You go, g.o.g.!

I too had tried yoga many times over the years, but it wasn't until my first class at Baptiste Power Yoga about 7 years ago that I found a style that just clicked. Now I really can't make it more than a week without a class before I start losing it.

I think this is why yoga is so amazing - there is a different style that fits everyone, you just have to keep looking! I really hope Eleanor loves it as much as I do. I am going to enroll us in a local tots itsy bitsy yoga class this week, finally.

Thanks for the link to my site, by the way!!