Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Green Magazeeeen


I am a magazine junkie. My all-time favorite is Family Fun but give me a Woman's Day, People, Washingtonian, Kiplinger's, Martha Stewart, Cottage Living, Good Housekeeping, Kiwi, Southern Living, Sunset, Designer/Builder, New York, Journal of Light Construction (okay, my husband's read), Washington Parent, Yankee or [Insert Name of Magazine Here] and I'm all over that puppy.

I just love the way the cover of a magazine screams: Get Organized! Cook This and That! Have More Sex! Make This Elaborate Structure Out of Fruit!

Yet, if I indulged my magazine habit every time I went throught the checkout line, I'd be one broke puppy.

So here (are you still with me, because I am getting to the good part) is what I do. I am a member of a secret neighborhood network that takes magazines we have just about devoured in the 3.24 seconds since purchasing them and we swap them. Yes, my heart does a little pitter-patter when I arrive home from work and see a bag of like-new mags sitting on my front steps (unless it has been raining. then I cry because they are wet). Any magazine that you have impulse-bought, or subscribe to, or stole from your doctor's waiting room (I am told this happens. I do not do this) can be added to the bag and passed along. It's very informal - you can tear out pages, keep the entire issue, give the entire bag to your sister-in-law who is taking a transatlantic flight because the bottom line is that none of us really have time to read all those beauties so we take what we can get. And, have I mentioned how Green this is? Why, I bet you didn't even know I was sneaking in some Green. As painless as sneaking zucchini into muffins, eh? (I do not do this. I am told this happens)

Works for me! Post what works for you at today's Works for Me Wednesday hosted by the fabulous Rocks in My Dryer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a magazine junky too. Awhile ago I posted a tip on my blog to get cheap magazine subscriptions. EBay. Check it out.

BTW- your comment on my WFMW post cracked me up. I am not sure which I would appreciate more- a neighbor with a good meal or a People magazine subscription

*carrie* said...

Another great tip!

I do this, and love it. My mom and I are now going to share a Real Simple subscription, and I have a couple friends who I exchange other issues with. Wish more people did this--easy, fun, cheap, and as you said, green!

TracyMichele said...

What a FABULOUS idea! And green! I LOVE it.

Anonymous said...

I'm a real cheapy. so i take magizines from the "free" mag. bin at our local library, which happens to be on the way to the grocery store.

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh I have to move next door to you. What a brilliant idea.

Mary Beth said...

I totally totally relate to the whole magazine addiction thing. The impulse buys, the multiple subscriptions, running out of room to stack them! I donate them to the library when I'm done and the library re-sells them for a quarter each. I love your exchange idea, though. So fun!