Thursday, May 17, 2007

Lots of Good Green

Yowser! There's tons of good green stuff being posted by fellow green bloggers, so allow me to patch you through. One ringie-dingie..

Funny, Mom Go Green and Mindful Momma are both having the same thoughts about the "little things" that we are doing in an attempt to live a greener life. Like myself, we are just doing the best we can a little bit at a time. I think that is the best way to go, actually. Sometimes when you get too ambitious you give up because it just seems too overwhelming.

Also, Mindful Momma attended her local Green Festival, and although she was suffering from attention deficient disorder due to the kiddies (been there, felt that), she did give it a green thumbs up. I'm so looking forward to our area's Green Festival in October.

Heather at EnviroMom posted about another way to recycle those heading-for-the-dustbin books! Adorable!

Great postings today, fellow greenies!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

You (gift of green) have inspired me to stop buying those styrofoam cups of coffee from McDonalds even though I love the disposable ones that don't require paper jackets. I'm trying to make coffee at home and use my mugs (but it doesn't taste the same!)

Gift of Green said...

It is so all about the coffee cup feng shui and for me, this is a very difficult habit to break. I love, love, love the Starbucks paper cup with paper jacket. And I completely agree with you - coffee from home with own mug does not a satisfying experience make. What is it about the coffee-to-go?!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

In 1987 I moved to New York to become an artist and shortly thereafter began cleaning apartments for extra cash. I had placed an ad in the Village Voice advertising myself as a male housekeeper who cleaned "In the European Tradition"… whatever that meant.

From dozens of responses I managed to find four sincere individuals that were infinitely cleaner than I ever would have dreamed (hence making my life easier!). I began traveling the length of Manhattan from the Cloisters to the World Trade Center cleaning one apartment after another with my cleaning kit of commercially manufactured products—the usual suspects available at any grocery store.

I cleaned with abandon, the effects were dazzling and my clients began making referrals. But the daily multi-exposures to these products left me feeling awful. It was then that I began to think that there must be a better way for me to continue doing housework, but to do it in a way that wasn’t toxic to my body. I realized that the pioneers who traveled across the Great Plains in the 1800s did so without the “convenience” of handy wipes, dishwasher tabs, aerosols, or self-sanitizing lotion. And had it not been for the fact that they were probably trampled by their own livestock or were killed by each other in the Wild, Wild West, the strongest arrived at their destinations fed and clean. My goal then became to discover their lost secrets of cleaning.

What I’ve come to learn is that no matter how you look at it, cleaning is hard work. But what I’ve also come to know is that cleaning with the five wholesome, safe, and planet-friendly ingredients I’ve identified in “Clean: The Humble Art of Zen-Cleansing”—white vinegar, salt, lemon, baking soda and borax—are not just alternatives, but rather, the solution to a much bigger challenge--that of living a life that’s mindful of one’s self, one’s loved ones, one’s pets, one’s neighbors, one’s community, and one’s planet.

All the best,
Michael DeJong
www.zencleansing.com