Monday, October 1, 2007

Gift of Green Goes Pink

Somewhere during my blogging travels, I came across this site, which is encouraging blogs to go pink, in whatever way they can, for the month of October. This is, of course, in recognition of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It's a little hard to read, but hey, pink and green is one of my favorite color combinations (guess I'm reliving the preppy craze of the 80's - does anyone remember Bermuda bags?) to boot!

It has been six years now since my dear cousin died of inflammatory breast cancer. She was and is a mom to two beautiful, self-confident, self sufficient daughters, wife to a wise-cracking jokah, and the best "older sister you never had". I miss her.

If you haven't already, go visit the fabulous WhyMommy and check out her post on inflammatory breast cancer. I think I can speak for her when I write that IBC was not exactly part of her life plan, but she's doing okay and, hey, she digs comments. Click on over and say hello!

While we're on the subject, I'd like to share a little pet peeve of mine...companies that use the month of October to shamelessly promote their pink products. Hold on, let me explain. I don't see a problem with encouraging people to purchase goods in order to support a cause. The problem I have is the amount of money that actually goes to the cause. I just cannot get on board when a company offers to donate 5% or 10% of the proceeds to something as vague as "breast cancer research." Now, I'm not talking about small businesses, of course. I'm all for financial solvency too!

Are their any eco-friendly "pink" items you feel are worthy of your support this month? OrganicBouquet is selling breastcancer.org pink passion roses, for example, with 5% of the retail price to breastcancer.org. (Nevermind that the flowers are being flown hither and yon.)

What's your opinion? Do you think that every little bit helps?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with your point. And, the other problem is that many "unhealthy" products are being sold pink. Pink lipstick, pink M&Ms. I'm not saying these products are horrible, but they are not "health conscious," pink lipstick is full on unhealthy chemicals, M&Ms full of fat -- why not pink french fries while we're at it. Because they have found french fries is one of the worst foods you can eat if you're trying to avoid breast cancer.