Saturday, March 7, 2009

Just in time for summer: Barefoot (Books)

I have reviewed some of the unique offerings from Barefoot Books before, but my, has it been that long?

The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales, by Dawn Casey and Anne Wilson, features illustrations created from collaged papers with brilliant acrylic backgrounds in earthy browns, vibrant chartreuse, and sky blues. The book retells seven folktales from around the globe: from the American Southwest to Bali. Accompanying each tale is background information on the country of origin and an activity to try (some are more involved than others - one requires living willow rods, while another just requires cornhusks, string and scissors). Read "The Sun Mother", a Dream story from the indigenous peoples of Australia, and then try your hand at creating a song-line drawing in the style of the Aboriginal people.

Along with A Forest of Stories, this book celebrates the essence of oral tradition as culture after culture handed stories down around the fire or under a dome of sky. A sources and acknowledgements page encourages further reading.

I would be happy to share this book, sent to me by Barefoot Books, with one lucky winner selected randomly. Simply leave a comment on this post by midnight, U.S. East Coast time, Monday, March 9th, 2009. And yes, I will ship internationally.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

The book sounds lovely!

KR said...

I'd love to have this, I adore Barefoot Books!

horsemedicine said...

Sounds very intriguing!

Robin said...

My kids would love it!

Katy said...

Hey now GOG - I know Eleanor will love this when she's a little older!

Anonymous said...

I am in love with Barefoot Books...