Monday, January 21, 2008

Green Cleaning, Redux

A few months back I posted about my search for a green carpet cleaning company such as Zoots and I also inquired over at Shannon's house to see if any of her Works for Me Wednesday readers had any suggestions.

Green Nana reminded me that she and Green Gramps use a steam cleaner but without any of those toxic chemicals. Smiling Mama said to ditch the wall-to-wall altogether and highly recommended Flor carpet tiles. Someone Being Me suggested the old standby, vinegar and water, for spot cleaning.

Today, Green Husband alerted me to a recent segment on our local NBC affiliate that took a look at some green cleaning alternatives. Two recommended products, other than the vinegar solution, were Simple Green and Bon Ami products.

There was also a link to the Maid Brigade's "Green Clean Certified system" and a neat little "Tips for a Green Home" interactive quiz which was fun (I, shamefully, received a 70%). Of course the tip I cherished most was to line dry your linens on sunny days.

Speaking of sunny days, Susan over at Toddler Planet is looking forward to many more. Stop by and wish her well today.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My not-so-green but very economical husband has long been using Simple Green on the car, outdoor furntiure & toys, and big cleaning indoors projects. I cannot stand the smell. Smell it before you buy it. Isn't Bon Ami like an old fashioned Ajax-type of cleaning product?

Geggie said...

I'm really happy with BioKleen laundry detergent. I also just bought the new Greenworks line by clorox this weekend, 99% natural and packaged in all recycled materials. I love the multi-purpose cleaner.

Geggie said...

I'm really happy with BioKleen laundry detergent. I also just bought the new Greenworks line by clorox this weekend, 99% natural and packaged in all recycled materials. I love the multi-purpose cleaner.

Mama said...

You should really try Shaklee's Basic H2. It is non-toxic, the first biodegradeable stuff on the market, and cleaned BLACK porch paint off of my rug! My son's life was spared that day because of Shaklee's H2:)
www.shaklee.net/mamagoesgreen

Jenny said...

I used this company in Virginia and loved 'em http://www.absolutecarpetcare.com/natural_detergents.html

Anonymous said...

Simple Green is NOT eco-friendly.
It contains ethylene glycol butyl ether or EGBE,
which is on California's list of toxic air contaminants. This chemical was
also found to cause a range of health problems in animal studies. See this
nonprofit site for more info:
http://www.womenandenvironment.org/newsreports/media/Press%202007/news_item.
2007-07-31.0329454586

Also, I will not support the Clorox company because so many of their bleach products are harmful and contaminate our water. I'd rather give my money to companies who are making a positive impact through their actions.

Sabrina Ahmed said...

As a Green mom, I try really hard to only use Green and non toxic products in my home. Not only are these types of products safer for our environment, it's also an added safety measure to put our childrens health first!

I had been searching for affordable and effective Green home products and found them at
http://www.greeneutopia.com
Along with their Green products store they also had alot of great information on current Green issues and trends for those of us always looking for more information on living greener!
I hope this resource helps!

Good Bless and Go Green!
-Sabrina

Unknown said...

I love finding new green cleaning tricks and techniques. Thanks for posting more.