Saturday, December 8, 2007

Zoot Suits (You)?

It's been five years since we've moved into our home and our upstairs (small peaked roof with dormer) has wall to wall carpeting. Here is what is lurking (and not so lurking) within the carpet: orange juice/apple juice, cat puke (cleaned of course...but really...is it *that* clean?), various child-related expulsions (cleaned of course...but really...oh, nevermind), probably dust mites and allergens, probably ground in boot dirt, probably sand from a Very. Unfortunate. Incident.

Green Husband has given me the go ahead and I am calling in the big guns for a thorough cleaning. I want to use Zoots a kinder, gentler carpet cleaning company. I hope they clean in my area - have any of you Zooted?

Also, did you ever wonder what would happen if your child could post a message to a Pre-Schooler listserve? I am sure my children's postings would look something like this.

***

Getting in the Spirit Update: Holiday cards have arrived. Lights are on tree. Green Grams present has been mailed. Legs have been broken off Tinker Bell ornament ("She was stuck in the lock.").

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

we just "cleaned" our carpet with water only! it smells better and is softer than any of those non-toxic? chemicals....you can always use a "spot" cleaner for stains:) what exactly does zoot use. maybe water?

Anonymous said...

What could be more green than Nana's water suggestion? Maybe Zoot's is steam cleaned and then sucked up. Do they recycle their dirty water collection or dump in a nearby tributary? Just wondering. And just joking.

Gift of Green said...

Mysterious Miss. Kitty (although I think I'm catching on. Are you a pharmacist?) - Maybe I'm just incredibly lazy and need to throw a little elbow grease into it?

Mary Beth said...

Carpet completely grosses me out for the exact reasons you just listed. I've lived with many gross carpets; don't get me wrong. I never looked into green carpet cleaning--it's got to be better than all the chemicals. Good luck!

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Gift of Green, you've got to check out FLOR carpet tiles and replace that wall to wall. Check out my blog about them @ http://smilingmama.blogspot.com/2007/11/ode-to-flor-carpet-tiles.html then visit their website. They are fabulous and so GREEN!

Anonymous said...

Ya think you know me from work, eh?

Jenny said...

You are so funny. I just had my furniture green cleaned, but not by Zoots.

Gift of Green said...

Thanks, MB - it's just that I don't know exactly what's lurking at the bottom and that gives me the jeebies.

Oh...Jenny? Do tell? What did/who did you use?

Miss. Kitty. Yes, I do believe you are of the pharmacist-ilk.

Anonymous said...

I, also, wonder what is "under" the carpet? If there is a nice wood floor(oak, pine, etc.) and not just 4by 8 plywood, i would rip it all up and put down l00 percent cotton or wool area rugs. ....but otherwise professionally steamed cleaned with water should do it>:)