Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Cancel Your Paper


This was kind of a light dawns on Marblehead moment for me (does this expression make any sense to anyone living outside of Massachusetts? But I digress...).

Every Sunday we get the paper delivered, but we literally live about a half a mile from at convenience store. It's not a very pleasant walk, as it involves some asphalt and standing on a exhaust-laden street corner while waiting for the light to change, but no ifs, ands, or buts, it is a very doable walk.

So yesterday when my newspaper renewal notice came in the mail, I canceled the newspaper in the hope of getting some much needed exercise on Sunday mornings.

And no using the car to get to the store and no using someone else's car to get the paper to my house! There. I snuck in some green again. Damn, I'm good.

Check out the dozens of other great ideas at Works for Me Wednesday, hosted by Rocks in My Dryer. Have a great Wednesday, everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a similar, yet less educated light, we just did not renew our TV guide. As hubby said, "when was the last time you actually looked up a show". We read the few entertainment pieces that interested us and then it got tossed - sorry, recycled!! - a couple of weeks later. So saving on planet green and pocket green.
RBD

Anonymous said...

We usually cancel our newspaper subscription in the summer, when it is a easy walk to get the paper, but in the winter and after receiving numerous "half price deals" we alway renew for those cold winter months! but maybe we will hold out, saving on the planet green.

Unknown said...

It's a great idea.

We don't have a sundaypaper, and we don't have a car, so no dilemmas here about what to do. LOL!

Have a great day!

Jendeis said...

I thought I was the only person who knew the "light dawns" comment! :)

I think some professor uses it in the Tom Cruise movie "Cocktail."

We always used it to refer to light coming on a statue's head, in other words, "you're a blockhead!, not the town Marblehead.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are good.

Patty said...

We haven't recieved a paper for maybe 20 years. Never missed it. We do use cast off newspapers for helping to get our woodstove going though.
Oh, I am from Massachusetts originally and that expression is one I use all the time, forgetting that folks in Texas have no idea just how funny it is.